WiseGRID, the EU funded project aiming at promoting research and deployment of innovative smart grid applications at EU level is a reality! AEGEA is part of the project team, tasked mainly with the technical support of the Municipality of Kythnos in the design and deployment of innovative pilot applications on the island.
Collaboration between the Municipality, AEGEA, National Technical University of Athens and the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator (HEDNO) has borne fruit! For the next 3,5 years Kythnos will be one of the 5 demo sites for the deployment of new, innovative and smart technologies that will help make electricity distribution grids safer, smarter and more efficient.
For Kythnos the project foresees setting-up a state-of-the-art integrated electricity system that includes:
- EV charging stations
- Procurement of EVs
- Energy storage systems (batteries) for public/municipal buildings
- Equipment for the optimization of the operation of a desalination plant
- Energy storage systems (batteries)to increase RES penetration in the local energy mix
- Equipment for the flexible and optimal operation of electricity network, increasing the interactive communication with consumers
- Other new grid management applications
These activities will play a key supportive role to the Municipality’s overall strategy to promote Kythnos as “Smart Island”, one that hosts innovative applications for the whole of the island’s infrastructure. Apart from improving the quality of life of local residents and tourists, these applications will place Kythnos among the top educational and scientific tourism destinations, through the organization of seminars, conferences and field visits by researchers, University and secondary education students. Put together these developments will contribute to extension of the island’s tourism season, boost local job creation and overall local economic development.
DAFNI Network, whose scientific advisor is AEGEA, will ensure the transfer of knowledge and experience produced by WiseGRID to the rest of its island – members, helping mature the conditions for the realization of additional important reach and innovation projects in Greek islands.
WiseGRId will contribute to the transition to a low-carbon economy by increasing the use of RES though the promotion and demonstration of innovative and smart technologies of
- Electricity distribution grid management
- Energy storage
- Smart transport integration in the electricity network
- Flexible management of electricity loads
WiseGRID proposal was submitted in the framework of the call LCE2: Demonstration of smart grid, storage and system integration technologies with increasing share of renewables: distribution system https://goo.gl/bx84fM of the Competitive Low Carbon Economy Pillar.
WiseGRID is among the 5 projects that was approved under this call from across Europe. Overall the project foresees the deployment of around 20 pilot demo projects in electricity distribution networks of different characteristics. The demo in Kythnos represents the only project in a non-interconnected island system.
The consortium involves 21 partners who will together promote and implement the project. These are:
- ETRA INVESTIGACION Y DESARROLLO SA, Coordinator, Spain
- BOUYGUES ENERGIES & SERVICES, France
- ENGINEERING – INGEGNERIA INFORMATICA SPA, Italy
- CENTRUL ROMAN AL ENERGIEI, Romania
- ASM TERNI SPA, Italy
- ECOPOWER, Belgium
- COOPERATIVA ELECTRICA BENEFICA SANFRANCISCO DE ASIS SOCIEDAD COOPERATIVA VALENCIANA, Spain
- HYPERTECH (CHAIPERTEK) ANONYMOS VIOMICHANIKI EMPORIKI ETAIREIA PLIROFORIKIS KAI NEON TECHNOLOGION, Greece
- AMPERE POWER ENERGY SL, Spain
- ASOCIACION INSTITUTO TECNOLOGICO DE LA ENERGIA, Spain
- INSTITUTE OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPUTER SYSTEMS, Greece
- DIACHEIRISTIS ELLINIKOU DIKTYOU DIANOMIS ELEKTRIKIS ENERGEIAS AE, Greece
- ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS – RESEARCH CENTER, Greece
- RESCOOP EU ASBL, Belgium
- VARTA STORAGE GMBH, Germany
- QUEEN MARY UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, UK
- EMOTION SRL, Italy
- PARTAGO, Belgium
- AEGEA, Greece
- Εταιρεία Παροχής Αερίου Αττικής ΑΕ, Greece
- ASOCIACION ESPANOLA DE NORMALIZACION Y CERTIFICACION, Spain